Dear [incoming student],
As we make final preparations for your arrival as a 49er, I would like to share with you what you can expect as you begin your academic journey at UNC Charlotte. We are committed to providing an excellent academic experience, even as we adapt classroom instruction, course design, and campus activities to meet necessary safety measures during this pandemic.
Classroom instruction methods for fall
- We will continue to offer some face-to-face classroom instruction for many courses this fall.
- Many will have a hybrid approach where you will split your time between being in class and engaging with course materials remotely. This hybrid approach ensures we can provide appropriate physical distancing in the classroom.
- You will also have the option to choose from a selection of thoughtfully designed fully online courses.
- We anticipate most students’ schedules will have a combination of hybrid, face-to-face courses, and online courses.
- View a more detailed description of hybrid courses and FAQs here.
- A student’s tuition and fees charges are based on program type not course delivery. Distance Education tuition and fee rates are applicable only to a designated Distance Education degree program.
We’re prepared to teach you and create an engaging campus environment.
- To prepare for these changes, our faculty members are participating in a variety of training opportunities this summer and adopting best practices for online teaching in their courses.
- Many faculty members have completed a rigorous national certification for quality assurance in online education.
- We are working to create other opportunities for social engagement in residence halls and with on-campus events in a way that meets the safety guidelines and expectations. More information will be announced as plans are developed.
We want you to be properly prepared with the technology needed for your college career.
- We have a new laptop requirement for all incoming students. By having your own laptop, you will be able to access the tools needed in your coursework this semester and throughout your degree program.
- You may bring a laptop you already have or choose to purchase one from any vendor. I encourage you to explore the laptop bundles available for purchase through the NinerTech store, which will meet your educational needs for four years and beyond.
On behalf of the entire faculty at UNC Charlotte, we are eager to meet you and we are dedicated to your success as a college student.
Joan F. Lorden
Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs