Grade Election Deadline Extended to Dec. 16; New Grade Designation Added

Friday, December 11, 2020

After receiving additional feedback from students and faculty, the Undergraduate Grading Policy for the 2020-21 academic year has been amended.  Undergraduate students may elect P/N grading in up to three courses during the academic year. 


There are two changes:  
  • The deadline for electing P/N grading has been extended until Wednesday, December 16 at 11:59 p.m. This also is the deadline for students to change a previous election.

  • In addition to the P (pass) and N (no credit) grades, a grade of H will be used to signify that students have earned a grade of C or better in a progression or prerequisite course. 

Here’s how it will work:

Students who wish to request Pass/No Credit grading for a prerequisite course that requires a C grade in order to progress should complete the course and receive a final grade. After the final grade is posted, the student may then complete a petition to request a Pass/No Credit grade by January 8, 2021 if they wish to replace their course letter grade with a Pass/No Credit grade. This will ensure that students with grades of C or better in prerequisite courses can progress while not impacting their GPA calculation.   

The use of the H grade designation will signify that the student has passed, with a C or above, and will have satisfied progression (prerequisite) requirements.  This grade designation is limited to the 2020-2021 academic year only.  

Students are strongly encouraged to consult with their academic advisor and course instructor before making a decision. Some colleges or degree programs may have exceptions. Please be aware of the details of this grading exception.

Undergraduate students are reminded that up to two courses can be elected for Pass/No Credit grading for the Fall 2020 term, including those awarded via petition. Students may elect Pass/No Credit grading for no more than three undergraduate courses for the entire academic year, including summer.

To file an academic petition, after Dec 16, undergraduate students must complete a form through the online academic petition system.