TO: UNC Charlotte Faculty
FROM: Joan F. Lorden, Provost
Kevin W. Bailey, Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
RE: University/Classroom Expectations of Students Related to COVID-19
We write to remind faculty of the protocol that was established last year surrounding violations of student expectations related to required face coverings in the classroom to control COVID-19. The Faculty Council adopted steps for faculty to take if a student comes to class without the required face covering:
- Ask the student to put a mask on.
- If the student does not have one with them, provide them with one or send them to a vending machine to purchase one for $1.
- If the student complies with either of the above steps, the issue is resolved.
- If the student refuses to comply, politely ask the student to leave class and not to return without wearing a face covering.
- If the student refuses to leave class or the situation escalates, dismiss the class and file an incident report. The report will be sent to the Office of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity for adjudication.
Filing a report is important because the student may be exhibiting the same behavior in other classes or venues. The student will face a range of sanctions from a written warning to suspension for repeatedly violating the policy to wear a face covering in class.
As a reminder, syllabus language related to wearing face coverings in classrooms and labs and absenteeism due to COVID-19 can be found on the Office of Legal Affairs website.
If you need additional guidance, please contact the Office of Student Conduct and Academic Integrity. We are all in this together!