FAQs for Undergraduate Grading Policy Exception (Fall 2020)

Will students see their letter grade for a course before deciding whether or not to request the Pass/No Credit accommodation?
No. For Fall 2020, students must elect the Pass/No Credit accommodation for a course before their final grade is posted (between December 7-16, 2020). For Spring and Summer 2021, students must elect the Pass/No Credit accommodation for a course by the date in the Academic Calendar. If Pass/No Credit grading is selected, a final letter grade will not be assigned by faculty.

How do faculty select the H grade when a student requests the P/N election?

Instructors will see the availability to assign an H grade in Banner only if the student has requested the Pass/No Credit election or the course was designed to use Pass/No Credit grading. Faculty have the discretion to assign an H grade in any course, not just progression (prerequisite) courses. An H grade signifies that the student has met progression (prerequisite) requirements. The only exception is for courses that have a required minimum B grade, which require a petition after the grading period.

How does this affect progression in my program of study?

In addition to the P (pass) and N (no credit) grades, a grade of H will be used to signify that students have earned a grade of C or better in a progression or prerequisite course. This will ensure that students with grades of C or better in prerequisite courses can progress while not impacting their GPA calculation. There may be exceptions for some degree programs. Please consult with your academic advisor before making any decisions.

The major has GPA requirements for entry or to continue in the program. How will a grade of Pass (P) be used in eligibility calculations?
A grade of P will not be factored into the term or cumulative GPA; therefore, it is important for students to consult with their academic advisor or program director for advice before making an election decision.

If a student plans to later seek admission to graduate school or another professional school, how will Pass/No Credit affect admission?
Students are encouraged to make an informed decision of how a Pass (P) grade, instead of a letter grade, may impact future plans. Students should seek guidance from their academic advisor or program director and consider all implications before requesting Pass/No Credit accommodation.

If a student is in an Honors program, will the Pass/No Credit accommodation have an impact on those requirements?
Honors programs have requirements related to letter grades to be eligible to graduate with honors or be admitted or continue in an honors program. Honors students in honors courses may not elect a P instead of a grade for any honors course to receive honors credit. Any honors student who needs a COVID-related exception may work with a faculty member to make a request via this form.

If a student is on track to graduate with Latin Honors (Cum Laude, Summa Cum Laude, etc.), will the Pass/No Credit accommodation have an impact on my eligibility?
No. Students are eligible to graduate with Latin Honors provided they have earned 48 credits at UNC Charlotte even if some of those credits are graded on a Pass/No Credit basis.

If a student is a Veteran using the GI Bill to pay tuition, how will the Pass/No Credit grading option impact them financially?
If the student opts to take No Credit (NC) for a course grade, then they will either be required to pay all of the funds back from the first day of the term (including BAH, tuition, fees, book funds, etc.) or they may be allowed to repay prorated debts through the last day of attendance. This is determined by the Veterans Administration, not the UNC Charlotte Veteran Services Office.

Those choosing to take the Pass option will not be impacted. The only reason the No Credit (NC) option poses a potential issue is that it does not count towards your degree AND there are no consequences (an F grade). Students using Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31) will be best served by consulting directly with their Vocational Rehab Counselor.

Do courses in which students elect P/N during the 2020-2021 academic year count towards the four courses alloted to students for P/N through the Grading policy?
No. Courses selected for Pass/No Credit during the 2020-2021 academic year are excluded from the maximum four courses that students may ordinarily elect P/N.

How should a student request the accommodation for Pass/No Credit for Fall 2020 courses?
Here is how undergraduate students can elect Pass/No Credit grading beginning November 23:

  • Go to myUNCC.edu
  • Select Banner Self-Service
  • Go to Student Services/Student Accounts
  • Select Registration
  • Select Pass/No Credit Grading Change Request
  • Click the Submit Request button beside the course to elect P/N grading (no more than 2 courses)
  • A confirmation email will be sent to your school email for each election

Can a student choose to take an Incomplete (I) grade instead of Pass/No Credit?
The grade of I is assigned at the discretion of the instructor when a student who is otherwise passing has not, due to circumstances beyond his/her control, completed all the work in the course. Students must consult with the course instructor before the semester ends and should consider all implications, including extra work load. The missing work must be completed by the deadline specified by the instructor, and no later than 12 months. If the I is not removed during the specified time, a grade of F, U, or N, as appropriate, is automatically assigned. The grade of I cannot be removed by enrolling again in the same course, and students should not re-enroll in a course in which they have been assigned the grade of I.

Can a student use grade replacement to replace a grade from the 2020-2021 academic year? Will this count in the total number of grade replacements allowed?
Yes, students will have the ability to use grade replacement to replace a grade received — P/N or a standard letter grade — earned during the 2020-2021 academic year. In accordance with University of North Carolina System policy, grade replacements made during Fall 2020 or Spring 2021 will not count towards the maximum allowable in the Grading policy.

Which grades are students not able to change?
Students will NOT be able to change their course grade in these cases:

  • courses for which a P/N were determined before the start of the semester;
  • courses completed and graded in the first half-term of Fall 2020;
  • courses from which the student withdrew; and
  • courses for which the student has been found responsible and given a grade penalty for an academic integrity violation.

How does the Pass/No Credit option affect undergraduate students on academic probation?
Courses selected for Pass/No Credit in 2020-2021 will be excluded from semester and cumulative GPA calculations. An undergraduate student on academic probation or special probation whose cumulative GPA remains below 2.0 at the end of the semester will be suspended from the University, unless the student’s GPA for that semester is at least 2.3, in which case the student remains on probation. Students who were in good standing prior to the semester whose cumulative GPA fell below 2.0 this semester will be placed on Academic Probation. While we are confident that students who are on probation can rebound, we encourage you to reach out to your advisor if you need assistance.

If a student received a scholarship from UNC Charlotte that requires a minimum GPA for it to renew the following year, how will the new Pass/No Credit grading option for the 2020-2021 academic year impact their GPA, and is their scholarship in jeopardy of not being renewed next year?
If a student received a UNC Charlotte institutional scholarship that requires them to maintain a minimum GPA in order for the award to renew, they must earn the minimum required GPA. The Scholarship Offer and Acceptance Form they signed when initially accepting their scholarship offer indicates if their award is renewable, and includes any terms or conditions they must meet to remain eligible in future years. Their grades are reviewed at the end of each academic semester and/or year, depending on the administering department, to determine if they remain eligible to receive your scholarship the following semester or academic year.

Courses selected for Pass/No Credit will have no impact on their semester GPA or overall cumulative GPA. If they do not meet the minimum required GPA, they will be placed on scholarship probation for one academic year. They will still receive their scholarship for the probation year. After the probation year, their grades will be reviewed and if their GPA is not at the minimum required level, their scholarship may be withdrawn.

By August 1, 2020, they were notified by email if their scholarship for the 2020-2021 academic year will be renewed or withdrawn. If they are offered a renewal scholarship for the 2021-2022 academic year, they must accept the scholarship offer in the NinerScholars Portal in order for payment to process to their student account.

Levine Scholars should contact the Levine Scholars Program Office directly for information specific to renewal of their scholarship. Recipients of the Crown, Freeman, Johnson, Martin, or Albert Engineering Scholarships should contact the Honors College directly for specific renewal information.

Students awarded a scholarship by an organization outside UNC Charlotte, which contains a GPA requirement for renewal, should contact the awarding organization with any questions.

Does this Pass/No Credit change impact Graduate students?
No. The Pass/No Credit exception here only applies to undergraduate students in undergraduate courses. This change does not apply to undergraduate students enrolled in graduate courses or to graduate students.