I. Executive Summary
This policy and procedure defines the rights of undergraduate students in settling problems and differences through an orderly grievance procedure.
II. Policy and Procedure Statement
Academic appeals and grievances are generally addressed by the college where the appeal or grievance arises or, if no particular college is appropriate, by the Office of the Registrar. Undergraduate students may appeal an academic suspension by submitting a written statement online.
Decisions regarding suspension appeals are made by the chair of the academic unit in which the student is enrolled or the dean of University College if the student’s major is undeclared. For all other academic appeals, including recommendations of approval, undergraduate students must complete an Academic Petition.
For additional information on grievances, see University Policy 411, Student Grievance Procedure.
- Academic unit – A unit within a college representing a discipline. For example, the Department of English is in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.
- Major – A degree-seeking student's primary field of study. See the Degree Programs section of the Undergraduate Catalog for a listing of available majors.
- Undeclared – A student who has not yet declared a major field of study; sometimes referred to as undecided.
IV. Policy Contact(s)
- Authority: Faculty Council
- Responsible Office: Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
- Additional Contact(s): Office of the Registrar
- Revised: April 15, 2022 [Updated procedure and link to submit appeals; added new Appeals website link]
- Revised: April 28, 2022 [Faculty Council voted to change some of the language]
VI. Related Policies, Procedures and Resources
- Academic Petition
- Academic Suspension Appeals
- Grievance and Appeal Procedures
- University Policy 411, Student Grievance Procedure
VII. Frequently Asked Questions
- Where is this policy and procedure referenced?
The policy and procedure is published on the Academic Policies & Procedures webpage of the Provost website and in the Degree Requirements & Academic Policies section of the Undergraduate Catalog.
- Which students are covered under this policy?
This policy applies to all undergraduate students at UNC Charlotte.