New Degree Programs – Part II: Request to Establish
I. Executive Summary
The process for planning and establishing a new degree program (undergraduate major or graduate program) at UNC Charlotte is governed by the rules and regulations of the University of North Carolina Board of Governors who have the authority to approve new degree programs (UNC Policy Manual Chapter 400.1 – Academic Programs).
II. Procedure Statement
Following submission of the Request for Preliminary Authorization to UNC System Office, the following steps should be followed to begin the Request to Establish process of requesting to establish a new degree program:
- Department(s)/college(s) prepares Request to Establish, completes the New Degree Program – Part Two: Request to Establish form within Curriculog and uploads the (1) Request to Establish, (2) Student Learning Outcomes Assessment Plan, and (3) UNC System Academic Program Planning Financial Worksheet as addendums.
- If SACSCOC Prospectus is required (see Substantive Change Planning Questionnaire step in Part I: Request for Preliminary Authorization procedure), submit Faculty Roster form as part of Request to Establish.
- Within Curriculog, the Request to Establish is routed through the faculty governance review process with notification to the Assistant Provost.
- Following Faculty Council approval, the proposal is routed via Curriculog to the Provost and Office of Academic Affairs for review.
- Provost and Office of Academic Affairs review Request to Establish and decide to proceed with Chancellor consultation or return proposal to college with additional comments/considerations.
- If approved to proceed, Office of Academic Affairs submits Request to Establish to UNC System Office and posts the final version on the Academic Program Planning and Authorization webpage.
- UNC System Office responds (within four weeks) and subsequent review follows in accordance with timeline on UNC New Degree Programs webpage.
NOTE: Request to Establish must be received by the UNC System Office no more than four months from the date of approval of the Request for Preliminary Authorization. See UNC New Degree Programs webpage.
There are currently no definitions for this procedure.
IV. Procedure Contact(s)
- Authority: Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
- Responsible Office: Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
- Additional Contact(s): n/a
- 06/25/18: Revised [Updated to include new Curriculog process]
- 10/23/18: Revised [Added language about SACSCOC Prospectus]
- 01/06/21: Revised [Updated required forms per UNC System Office; “Letter of Intent” changed to “Request for Preliminary Authorization”]
VI. Related Policies, Procedures, and Resources
- UNC Charlotte Academic Procedure: New Degree Programs – Part I: Request for Preliminary Authorization
- UNC Policy Manual Chapter 400.1 – Academic Programs
- UNC System – Academic Programs
VII. Frequently Asked Questions
- Where is this procedure referenced?
The procedure is published on the Academic Policies & Procedures webpage of the Provost website.