Termination of Enrollment
I. Executive Summary
This policy outlines how students may withdraw from one or more of their courses, as well as how the University may terminate a student’s enrollment in one or more of their courses.
II. Policy Statement
Termination by the Student
Prior to the end of the Add/Drop Period, students may terminate enrollment in one or more courses by dropping them in accordance with the Registration policy. After the end of the Add/Drop Period, students may terminate enrollment in one or more courses by withdrawing from them in accordance with the Withdrawal and Cancellation of Enrollment policy.
Termination by the University
The University maintains the right to terminate a student’s enrollment in a course for a variety of reasons including, but not limited to: course schedule changes, course cancellation due to low enrollment, or the student’s nonfulfillment of course prerequisites. The University maintains the right to terminate a student’s enrollment in all courses in a term for a variety of reasons including, but not limited to: academic suspension, suspension for violation of The Code of Student Responsibility, or suspension in violation of The Code of Student Academic Integrity. Students who have been suspended for academic or disciplinary reasons must apply for readmission as described in the Readmission of Former Students policy.
- Course – A specific subject studied within a limited period of time. Courses may utilize lectures, discussion, laboratory, seminar, workshop, studio, independent study, internship, or other similar teaching formats to facilitate learning.
- Registrar – The official at the University who is responsible for maintaining student records. The Office of the Registrar plans and oversees registration, academic record maintenance, transcript preparation, graduation, a degree audit report system, and curricular records.
IV. Policy Contact(s)
- Authority: Faculty Council
- Responsible Office: Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
- Additional Contact(s): Office of the Registrar
- Revised: February 20, 2014 [updated for inclusion of added Withdrawal and Cancellation of Enrollment policy