I. Executive Summary
This policy describes the requirements for full-time faculty participation in Commencement ceremonies and New Student Convocation at UNC Charlotte.
II. Policy Statement
Commencement is held twice a year, in the Fall and Spring semesters. New Student Convocation is held once a year at the beginning of the Fall semester. As a professional responsibility and as a show of support for students, all full-time faculty are encouraged to attend both Commencement ceremonies and New Student Convocation, but at a minimum are expected to attend either one Commencement ceremony or New Student Convocation each year. Each department will be responsible for developing a plan for implementing the policy.
- Commencement (also known as Graduation) – A formal ceremony in which the University awards degrees to graduating students at the end of each Fall and Spring semester.
- New Student Convocation - An event dedicated to welcome and introduce new undergraduate students (freshmen and transfers) to the UNC Charlotte academic community. During the event, students learn about UNC Charlotte’s traditions, mission, and values that drive the niner spirit.
- Department – A unit within a college representing a discipline. For example, the Department of English is in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.
- Faculty – The members of the teaching and research body staff of UNC Charlotte. Faculty may hold the rank of professor, associate professor, assistant professor, instructor, lecturer, research associate, research assistant, or the equivalent of any of these academic ranks.
- Semester or Term – A period of study of approximately 16 weeks, usually a third of the academic year (i.e., Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters). The Fall semester begins in August, the Spring semester in January, and the Summer semester in May at UNC Charlotte. The Summer semester generally includes one eleven-week and two five-week half terms.
IV. Policy Contact(s)
- Authority: Faculty Council
- Responsible Office: Office of the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
- Additional Contact(s): n/a
- Approved: April 17, 2002
- Revised: February 20, 2013 [changed from "tenured and tenure track faculty" to "full-time faculty"]
- Revised: February 25, 2021 [inclusion of New Student Convocation into policy]
VI. Related Policies, Procedures, and Resources
VII. Frequently Asked Questions
- Where is this policy referenced?
The policy is published on the Academic Policies & Procedures webpage of the Provost website.
- Are part-time faculty and faculty affiliates permitted to attend Commencement and New Student Convocation?
Yes, part-time faculty and faculty affiliates are permitted and encouraged to attend Commencement and New Student Convocation in accordance with their departmental and collegiate policies.